It can be difficult to know when you need to replace your asphalt roof, or when a simple repair will do. Here are a few signs you may need a new roof for your Atlanta area property:
- Shingle edges are curled or shingle tabs are cupped.
- There are bald spots on your shingles – Weather damage can remove your roof’s granules.
- Cracked shingles.
- Your roof is more than 20 years old – Most asphalt shingle roofs have a lifespan of 20 years.
- You’ve recently experienced severe storm damage
- The roof just looks old and worn.
- Neighbors are getting new roofs. Homes built around the same time period can be experiencing the same types of weather conditions can mean that your roof is nearing its useful life.
- Dark streaks. Airborne algae cause dark streaks on roof decks. While this may not necessarily harm the roof shingles, it may not look good. Algae streaks can be removed using a 50:50 blend of water and bleach sprayed on your roof. It is important to use a low volume garden hose so you do not knock the protective granules off your shingles. It is also important that you protect your landscaping from the bleach run-off.
- Moss can grow on roof surfaces that don’t get much sunlight, especially in cool, moist climates. Moss growth can be more than a cosmetic issue. Moss holds moisture against the roof surface and overtime in freezing climates can cause damage to the granules on the top of the shingles. Moss can be brushed off but it won’t prevent it from growing again; take care not to damage the shingle surface. You may need to contact a professional roofing contractor.
If you have questions about roof replacement, roof maintenance, or about choosing the best roofer in Lawrenceville, GA., give us a call at 770-277-4869.