Selecting the Right Contractor for your Roofing Project
A reliable home exterior transformation depends on the right contractor
A brief message from Tom Scribbins, owner Accent Roofing Service.
There are thousands of contracting companies out there, some licensed, some not. Every single one can claim to be the best - to have the best materials and the best contractors. Most people have two questions for a contractor:
a. How much will it cost?
b. When can the work be started?
While a good contractor can answer these questions, so can the bad contractor, and then they look like a good contractor! This is why it's important to ask more than those two questions in order to evaluate who will complete your project.
Factors you should consider when hiring a contractor:
There are a number of factors to consider when choosing roofing contractors in the Metro Atlanta Area. Here is a brief look at the most important ones.
- Proof of license - The very first question you should ask every contractor you talk to is, "Are you licensed?" It is a simple question and requires a yes or no response. If the contractor says yes, then you should proceed with the interview. If they say no or try to come up with some long-winded explanation, they do not deserve your time or energy. An unlicensed contractor is not regulated by any governing body and can do sub-par work with no consequences. You can easily check with the state agencies to determine if they are really licensed or not. Don't let a contractor tell you that he doesn't need a license.
- Proof of permanent residency - Once you've found a licensed contractor, be sure to ask them if they have a permanent place of business. Many contractors without permanent residence work day to day, knowing that - they could go belly up at any moment. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of documented court cases involving contractors who started working on homes and never finishing due to bankruptcy.
- Proof of insurance - The next step towards finding the right contractor is asking for proof of insurance. An uninsured contractor will leave you burdened with any insurance payments if a worker is injured or an accident occurs on your property. There are a number of different types of insurance for contractors, be sure to ask for proof of Certificate of Insurance for Comprehensive Liability, Worker's Compensation, and Completed Operations Insurance.
- Warranties & certifications - A licensed contractor with a permanent place of residence and proof of insurance is not exactly a rarity. There are still hundreds of contractors who have taken all the necessary legal steps. But to narrow your search down to the best of the best, ask the contractor about their warranties and their certifications. A contractors' certifications are proof that they have been trained by the manufacturers whose products they install and have the manufacturers permission to install them. Without those certifications, the contractor may not know the proper way to install the products they are using. Those same certifications allow the contractor to provide warranties on the products they install. Ask the contractor for those warranties and if they have their own workmanship warranty on their labor.
- Experience & customer service record - When you can be sure you can trust a contractor to not scam you, you must then be sure that they will do quality work. True quality stems from experience. Very few contractors make it past one year in the industry and even less make it a decade. Look for a contractor with more than 20 years of experience, and be sure that they have a solid reputation for excellence in customer service. You'll want to be treated well and receive valuable results when improving your home.
Contact us today for a free estimate!
Here at Accent Roofing, we are fully licensed, fully insured, and fully certified. We have been a staple in the Lawrenceville Roofing industry for more than 28 years. When you need a roofing contractor Atlanta that you can trust, give Accent Roofing a call or contact us online for a free estimate on a roofing system for your home.
our service area
We serve the following areas in Metro Alanta
- Sugar Hill
- Peachtree Corners
- Johns Creek
- Sandy Springs
- Stone Mountain